Monday, 27 August 2012

Bank Holiday at Dungeness


I spent the weekend with my mother on the south Kent coast at Dungeness. Although not a birding trip, I still managed to get out a fair bit on each day. Some of the highlights of seawatching on Saturday and Sunday included Sooty and Balearic Shearwaters, and Black Terns. I missed out on the big passage this morning (including hundreds of Black Terns!), but in a short seawatch late morning I had a juvenile Long-tailed Skua (later found out ten had been seen throughout the morning).

The main reason I missed everything this morning is because I spent most of the time traipsing around the peninsula looking for passerines. Three Tree Pipits flew over early on, while I also had Whinchat, 6 Wheatears, 15 Willow Warblers and 50+ Yellow Wagtails. Yesterday proved a similar line-up (though lesser numbers), with 2 Tree Pipits, Whinchat and Wheatear.

The RSPB reserve was pretty quiet, although the Great White Egret was noted on Denge Marsh late morning on Sunday, when four Garganey and a couple of Little Ringed Plovers were on ARC Pit. Two Little Stints (adult & juvenile) were on ARC Pit early this morning along with a juvenile Ruff, c.20 Dunlin and a smattering of Common Sandpipers.




Throughout the weekend, up to four Yellow-legged Gulls were around the fishing boats. They sure show well here. Also had a red-ringed first-summer Herring Gull (HX4T) - a London bird.


1 comment:

  1. Hi – Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Birding Community? Our members will love it.
    It's easy just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website… it’s a win win. You can also add Photos and Videos and join Birding discussions if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    The Birding Community: http://www.vorts.com/birding/
    Thanks,
    James Kaufman, Editor
    A lot of birders are sharing their Blogs with us.

    ReplyDelete