Thursday 15 September 2011

Ruff @ BLGP



This juvenile male Ruff was on the North Pit at Baston & Langtoft Pits this evening; remarkably it is only my second patch record of the species since I started watching it seriously back in 2003! Not really sure why they've been so rare here, perhaps it has been a lack of habitat.

Anyway, this bird went some way to explaining why I've seen so few waders at BLGP this autumn - it was incredibly flighty, and soon flew off high to the north just after 18:00. I suspect this behaviour is down to the large number of skittish birds on the pit (predominately Greylag Geese, Black-headed Gulls and Lapwings) which are constantly coming and going, thus flushing other species on the pit. Knowing how skittish waders can be, I guess we are still getting a few but they are probably being flushed soon after arrival by larger species moving about. Sure is going to make finding a Pec even harder this autumn...

No comments:

Post a Comment